In travel, the woman is the CEO of deciding plans. This is backed by stacks of statistics two decades long. Creating niche campaigns to women is fairly recent, though. As I pour through dozens of “girl focused” marketing content, I’m struck by something very obvious. This is 2018, not 1952.
Here’s where it may be going wrong for you.
- The “Girlfriend’s Getaway” is the new “Get back in the kitchen”. Because, yeah, as women we only care about slipping into the spa and spending our husband’s money shopping. What are we getting away from? Why can’t we do other stuff? I have questions. Someone please kill this fu****g offensive marketing term, already.
- A cousin to the stereotype, we don’t spend enough time developing personas to market to women, and so broadstroking gives way to a spray and pray marketing strategy. Because you’ve read this far, here’s a few clues on female personas you may want to water: Dark Tourism, History, Extreme Sports, STEM edu-travel, voluntourism, personal development tourism.
- Charging the pink tax
- Female-oriented products cost on average 8% more than the male counterparts. This is across the board. Make sure your travel offering is a deal, a value and is not puffed up in the GG package.
- Ignoring the single woman
- Not every woman of a certain age is raising children. Delivering advertising with happy family via blanket targeting, can be downright offensive to the woman who chose another path.
- In a lot of the girl’s focused marketing campaigns, we’ve noticed an “over-packaging” trend. Simplicity sells, for sure. But, the lack of personalization options might dissuade a woman with a large family of varying ages and preferences and other unique circumstances. Consider a shopping cart eCom option when you package, and remember that one size never fits all.
The whole point of the women’s movement is uniqueness, being the best ME we can. If you just get that right, you’ll win the hearts and minds of your fem followers.
Need an expert for this strategy? We do that too! Drop us an email, DM us on social or ya know, send a smoke signal. We are here to help you!